InnShopper > Inns for Sale > Maine > Kingfield > Historic Hotel - Sugarloaf Area

Historic Hotel - Sugarloaf Area

Kingfield, ME  

This is not an active listing. Please visit the inns for sale page to search our active listings.

The Herbert Grand Hotel was completed in 1918 by Herbert Wing who was a local attorney, state legislator as well as the owner of the local bank and lumber mill. It is a 26 room inn along with an owner’s suite. It features an elegant lobby and the newly constructed McGregor’s Pub with a light food and spirit menu that attracts both locals and visitors. The hotel was initially a rendezvous location for Maine politicians during the Prohibition Era. The early years were marked by some alleged debauchery.

Wing sold the hotel in 1956 to Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Westman and he passed away shortly thereafter. Herbert Wing’s son, Earl Wing, took over his father’s bank and reportedly proceeded to execute a series of sales and foreclosures against several owners all of whom borrowed from the family owned bank and under perhaps bank favorable terms. Some of the hotel’s questionable history continued off and on until 1981 when Bud Dick purchased and restored the hotel running it until about 1998 when he fell ill. The hotel sold again to seasoned operators from Kennebunkport who ran the hotel until it was most recently purchased by Rob and Nerisha Gregor, attorneys and hotel owners from New York. Rob’s mother, Dawn, took on the role of manager shortly after the closing and continues to provide quality management to this day.

A rubber membrane roof was installed in 2001 (roof composition not verified). The Gregor’s improved all 27 rooms/suites and bathrooms and also constructed the attractive McGregor’s bar and lounge with 39± seats. In 2018, the hotel was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The Herbert Grand Hotel is the Gregor family’s pride and joy which they are reluctantly selling.

Property Details
  • 26 Guest Rooms
  • 26 Guest Room Baths
  • Has Owner's Quarters
  • Built in 1918
  • Last Renovated in 1998
  • Opened in 1918
  • Building is 14,835 SQFT
  • Lot is 0.61 Acres
  • Photo Gallery
  • Property Website
Financial Details
    Contact Information