Waldo Emerson Inn
Offered for sale at $1,950,000
Situated on an acre of land, this original Dutch gambrel was constructed by Waldo Emerson in 1753. He was the great uncle to Ralph Waldo Emerson who is rumored to have spent 10 summers at the house. The house was later inherited through marriage by Theodore Lyman, who added the enormous addition in 1784 as a wedding gift for his wife. Former owners made a fortune as shipbuilders on the Kennebunk River behind the house, so elaborate houses were within their means.
This historic home includes a keeping room, a room directly off the kitchen typical in Colonial era homes. In addition, the Inn has two spacious guest parlors to enjoy a good book or sip a glass of wine from the Honor Bar, and both indoor and outdoor seating for breakfast and lounging. George Bourne, a former resident, built the famous Wedding Cake house next door for his second wife. The Waldo Emerson Inn was also a stop along the Underground Railroad.
The house boasts several unique architectural features such as hand painted Wedgwood tiles adorning the parlor fireplace, Indian shutters and exposed beams dating back to the early 1600s.
All 6 guest rooms are charmingly decorated with attention to comfort and details, including fireplaces in four of the rooms. All six guest rooms have their own bathroom. This main house also includes a three room owner/innkeeper suite that can be configured in multiple ways.
Additionally, the property has a detached carriage house that functions as two separate, 2-bedroom apartments, each with a full bath, washer/dryer and kitchen. The first floor cottage was fully renovated in 2020 and these units are used as short term AirBnB rentals in summer and long-term rentals in winter.
- Main house built in 1753, addition of the carriage house in 1994
- Lot size: 1.00 acre
- Map 81, Lot 18
- 108 Summer Street, Kennebunk, ME 04043-6620
- Book 17581 Page 488, York County Registry of Deeds
- Square footage: 4,789
- 6 guest rooms with private baths
- Common areas include reception/multipurpose space, dining area, two parlors,, exterior patio and ample seating throughout the lawn area
- Floors are hardwoods and carpet
- 8 fireplaces (4 in guest rooms, 1 in each of two common area guest parlors, 1 in the dining room and a wood stove in the kitchen)
- 3 room owner's suite with private bath
- Laundry on site with 1 washer and 2 dryers in the main house
- Carriage house with two 2-bedroom apartments each with full bath, kitchen and washer/dryer
- Public water with filtration system
- Private sewer
- Onsite gravel lot with parking for 12 cars
- Exterior: Wood frame, shingles
- Hot water baseboard heat, A/C units
- Oil Heat for carriage house, bottled gas for main house
- 2021-2022 Real Estate Taxes $8,440.28
- 6 Guest Rooms
- 6 Guest Room Baths
- Has Owner's Quarters
- Built in 1753
- Last Renovated in 2020
- Opened in 1984
- Building is 4,789 SQFT
- Lot is 1 Acres
- Photo Gallery
- Property Website
- Offered for sale at $1,950,000
- Occupancy Rate: With NDA
- Average Daily Rate: With NDA
- Terms: Please contact listing broker for details